Monday, January 31, 2011

Snow Preparedness

Here in East Central Illinois, we are bracing for one hell of a storm.  Snow, ice, snow.  Oh my!  There's a long history here of storms being talked up to something they only rarely become.  But this one?  I don't know.  Even the national forecasts are putting our area at high risk for up to an inch of ice and several inches of snow.

So this morning, as I was contemplating the potential of 2-3 snow days, possibly having no power, I decided to go shopping.  I know some are running around today, gathering up batteries, water, basic food, etc.  No, not me!  This is the house to come to in case of emergency.  I have more food in my pantry and freezer than should be allowed by law.  Whole shelves filled with pastas, homemade jams, marmalades, and chutneys, flour, nuts, chocolate, canned goods.  And the freezer is stocked with aged meats, poultry, homemade sauces of all kinds, breads.....No need to worry about food here.  Neighbors, if you get hungry, come on by!

So on the way to the grocery, I thought.....if I'm going to be without power (hopefully not gas too), what will I want to cook?  What will I be able to make that would take all day, taste amazing, and bring a smile to my face?  Ravioli.  Yep.  Spinach ravioli with a meat sauce recipe handed down to me from a Southern Italian and homemade ciabatta.  So, wish snow for me, and continued gas service, so I can make homemade ravioli the old fashioned way.  I'll miss my Kitchenaid and the pasta roller I have for it, but perhaps it has made me soft.  Perhaps I'll take pictures tomorrow as I go and keep any of you who are reading this, posted.  Well, that's if the computer is working, which would mean I have power, and OH NO!  No real justification for spending a whole day cooking!  Drat.

2:00 pm Monday:  Here it comes! It's snowing big, fat, perfectly gorgeous snowflakes, just like the ones we used to cut out of paper as children, but prettier, and colder.

7:30 am Tuesday:  Imagine my disappointment.  Power is working.  Internet is up.  I should be happy.  I don't need to worry about my pipes freezing.  I've got music, tv, all the trappings of another day to write my research paper.  Actually, it is not even a research paper. It is a paper about learning about research and how I am going to apply what I have learned to my research.  Metaresearch.....I'd rather be cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts