Saturday, January 24, 2015

Quabooli (Kabuli)--Biryani Style Rice and Dal

Just before he died, my father's diet was severely limited, consisting mainly of rice, lentils, and vegetables.  This was one dish that he loved to make and eat.  It was the last dish he made before his fall.  After making this dish he remarked to me proudly, "these are the finest crisp onions I've ever made."  And he was right.  This dish is a wonderful accompaniment to any curry or something akin to a saag paneer, which is a recipe you can also find on this blog.

I will always love this dish, but I'm afraid it will always taste of sorrow to me.

Quabooli:  Biryani Style rice and dal

3 cups Chana Dal
3 cups basmati rice
¼  t. plus ¼ t. turmeric
6 T. oil
1 ½ large onion (7 oz), thinly and evenly sliced into ½ moon rings
3T. Grated ginger
1 ½ T. garlic, made into a paste
9 T. yogurt
salt
½ t. red pepper
1 plus 3 T. ghee (see blog for recipe)
3 T. lemon juice
3 T. milk
1 ½ T. chopped coriander
1 ½ T. mint, chopped
3-6  fresh green chiles, chopped
¾ t. g of garam masala

Soak dal 1 ½ hours covered in 3 inches water. Wash and soak rice. Put dal and soaking water in pot. Bring to boil with ¼ t. turmeric.  

While dal and rice are soaking, dry the onions between layers of paper towels with a weight placed on top (this will help you to make the best crisp onions you've ever made).

Cover and simmer 30 minutes until dal is almost tender (it should have a slight bite to it).  Drain.

Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan such as a dutch oven, to medium high.  Fry onions until rich reddish brown and crisp.  To do this, start the heat on medium high, and stir the onions continually.  When they begin to get slightly brown, lower the heat and continue cooking until they are rich in color. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towels.  

Cook ginger and garlic in same oil until lightly browned.  Add 
¼ t. turmeric and 1 T. yogurt at a time and cook until most of the liquid evaporates.  Add rest of yogurt in same manner. Add drained dal and ½ T. salt and chile powder.  Stir.  Saute dal for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and reserve in a bowl.  Wipe out pot for use in baking.

Heat oven to 325 degrees.  Bring 18 cups (7 ½ pints) of water to the boil.  Add rice and return to boil.  Boil vigorously for 4-5 minutes. (rice will be ¾ of the way cooked—slightly hard at the core). Drain rice. 


Add 1 T. melted ghee to the pan.  Use a brush to cover the pot bottom and sides with the ghee.  Put ½ of the rice into ovenproof casserole.  Cover par-cooked rice with cooked dal.  Cover dal with remaining rice. Sprinkle lemon juice, milk, coriander, mint, green chiles, and garam masala over the top.  Cover tightly with foil and place on the pot lid.  Place in oven for 30 minutes.  When done, remove from oven and let sit, covered for 5-10 minutes.  Top with browned onions and gently stir.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Shameem, thank you for sharing this recipe! We are enjoying it right now. I have far to go, to be proud of my fried onions. :-) I will keep working on it, family request! I hope it would make your father happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you made it! Let me know if you have any questions or would like clarification on anything. That timing is the hardest part. Think pasta--al dente. Enjoy! (I think my father would love that you made it.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for writing about the last meal your father cooked before he died.
    It was heartbreaking but inspiring. It brings me memoried of my childhood and my father cooking. Because of your article, I will cherish every meals my parents cooks for me when I see them.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts